Update 1/21/2019: The current appeal for the ruling has been put on hold until the government shutdown is over. Justice department workers are not able to work and have requested that the appeal be put on hold until they can work on these case.
What do we know about the ACA Ruling?
- On December 14, 2018 a federal judge in Texas ruled that the Affordable Care Act, Obamacare, was unconstitutional and invalid now that the individual mandate is no longer part of the law.
- The rationale for this decision was that the Supreme Court held that the ACA was only constitutional with the individual mandate and the tax penalty.
- The ruling does not immediately stop the law from being enacted.
- Appeals processes are underway and the case is likely to appear before the Supreme Court.
- At this time, nothing has changed with current marketplace plans or practices.
Please keep checking this page for any updates on the situation.
Page last updated: January 21, 2019 2:25pm CDT